Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Mindset

Abraham Lincoln said, with malice toward none with charity to all.

Two months ago, I had that reversed in my heart.  I had malice for all and charity for none.  It was understandable really, when I look back and consider the circumstances that lead up to that time.  Still, I remember a time when life could throw every pitch in the book at me and I still had happiness in my heart.

I have observed, recently in particular, that as we age our flavors come out in us.  Traits that we maybe only had a little of in our youth become accentuated and more prominent when we are older.  It's as if we are born a liquidy broth and throughout our lives boil down to a thick gravy.  Which would explain my we get wrinkles.  : )  Years ago, someone very important to me asked me what I wanted from life.  I replied that I just wanted to be happy.  He said, "Well, yeah, but that's what everyone wants."  I know everyone says that, but they don't always mean it.  My sister once asked me if she looked older than another woman standing near us.  She said she really wanted to know, and wanted an honest answer.  Did she really?  Of course not!  But I really meant it when I said that what I wanted was to be happy.  I have never needed or wanted a lot of money, except for some of the few things that it can bring.  It helps me to be happy when I don't have to worry about where the money is coming from for me to pay rent, or find the gas money to get to work every day, or buy groceries.  I want to be able to travel in as much as that travel allows me to visit and spend time with family and friends.  That being said, I would love to see Ireland, England, Scotland, Italy, France, Russia, Lithuania, Croatia, Israel, the Serengeti, Brazil, Spain, and any island in the Caribbean.  I don't think it would be much fun if I went alone, though I could still be happy alone.

I don't think I will get all of those pipe dream fantasies in my life, but I also don't want to get to the end of my life and be bitter and unhappy because I didn't do all of the things I dreamed of.  Now I have "things" that I want, not so much because I have a desperate need to acquire, but because I have had the experience of renting a place, putting my heart and soul into it, taking care of it, and then having it taken away by the lawful owner even though that was my home.  At this point, that is what I want: a home of my own that I can put my heart and soul into without fear of someone sweeping in one day on a whim and taking it away, assuming that I have been paying the mortgage of course.  I want to be happy in my job even if my boss is being a jerk, moreover, I don't want to sit in judgment of my boss even in the worst of times.  I want to work passionately and live passionately.  I want to take moments to enjoy little things that others may not hold to value, but not judge those who don't see the treasure in front of them.  In short, I want to live my life like Abraham Lincoln.

If you are not familiar with Dale Carnegie, or his principles, you are long overdue in learning about him.  You would think something that was introduced in the 1930's would be very out-dated at this point, but it is as fresh as the day it was written.  I'm sure you will love it.  This is a link to a sample.  Check out some of his books if you get the chance.

http://www.dalecarnegie.com/assets/1/7/Secrets_of_Success.pdf

No comments:

Post a Comment