Saturday, August 16, 2014

When Change is the Right Thing

Change can sometimes be the easiest thing.  That doesn't always make it the right thing to do.  Some people have an easy time walking away.  When things start to get difficult, stressful, or too demanding, they simply leave. 


Sometimes staying through those difficult times can be the best thing to do.  It may lead to even better things than prior to that point.  On the other hand, they may not.  There often comes a time when it is past the point of no return and it is past time to go.  Someone close to me is a self-professed quitter.  I have never wanted to be like that.  There is so much that is missed out on when you quit too soon. 


I have been worrying about my recent decision to make a change.  It required that I walk away from one thing in order to do it.  That is never an easy choice to make.  I have always had a certain level of anxiety not only about decisions to make major life changes, but around people.  I don't tend to do things if it means I do it alone.  I always prefer to have someone with me, but who doesn't?!  Is it part of the whole reason girls like to go to the bathroom in groups, and guys go to the bar together, or is it really that they just like being together and "hanging out"?  I like to have the security of someone that I know and am somewhat comfortable with. 


Now I find myself in a position where I know no one.  The strangest part is my lack of  anxiety with all of this.  How is it possible that I change things, like I have done a dozen times before in my life, but have none of the anxiety, insecurity, and worry that I have had every other time?  Because it was the right time to do the right thing.  I am reasonably certain of it at this point.  It was the easy thing as well as being the right thing.  Of course, it has its inherent difficulties, but I haven't lost a minute of sleep over this, and haven't felt the least bit nervous about any of it.  I have felt relaxed and completely myself. 


In part I attribute that to all the things I've learned, and all the ways I have been allowed to grow up to this point.  I will be eternally grateful for this. 


Lesson learned:  When something is done because it is the right thing, there won't be residual negative feelings.  Banish feelings of recrimination, vengeance, or retribution, these only lead to unease and guilt. 

No comments:

Post a Comment